Sunday, September 7, 2008

The iPhone 3G: A Reflection

Photobucket

On July 11th, I took part in an "fanboy pilgrimage" of sorts as I waited for over eighteen hours outside of an AT&T store in order to be one of the first recipients of the much sought after iPhone 3G. I really wish I had started the blog before then, because the memories of wonderment and camaraderie would still have been fresh in my mind, but alas, a two month retrospective is the only viable option.

I was #3 in line, behind an older couple who claimed to have been waiting in front of the store for over a week. Within their rustic camping tent emerged the smells of discarded Cup of Noodles and the friction of human flesh. Before the wife started asking what my "animal name" was, we had a delightful conversation about Apple and where we see the company is headed. We seemed to all agree that the future held great things for Steve Jobs and the gang.

We invisioned a time in which Windows was no longer needed, in which all computers ran off UNIX-based architecture and Mac OS X ruled supreme above all operating systems. Of course, we knew that nothing like that would ever happen in our lifetimes (well, they were pushing fifty so I don't think it's even right to lump mine in with theirs); people will always be stupid, and as long as there are stupid people, there will be a consumer base for Windows.

Fortunately, Apple has been doing really well lately and it's not unfathomable that some day it will usurp Micro$oft's throne once and for all. The iPhone was just the first step and the iPhone 3G was the next.

I bought an original iPhone, of course, back when people were still skeptical about Apple's ability to craft the perfect cell phone (and why they were I still have no idea - they were already making the perfect computers and music players). I paid the original $600 because I had no doubt in my mind that Apple would deliver excellence. Of course, when the price drop was announced, I was a little ticked off (well, okay, I was pretty furious that Apple would try to pull a fast one on me, their loyal buyer), but the $100 iTunes certificate that Steve graciously offered all of us early adopters was more than enough to assuage my rage (I purchased some wonderful albums from some pretty unknown artists, like Why? and Animal Collective - I doubt you've heard of them).

I loved the original iPhone because, well, as Apple says, it just worked.™ I had all my music, photos, videos, and internet with me in one place, and as an added bonus, it also happened to be a kickass phone! I even paid Verizon $200 to cancel my account since I would need AT&T to use the phone capabilities properly. A "friend" of mine suggest that I jailbreak the thing, to which I replied "What, are you crazy? And risk a $600 investment? Thanks, I'll stick to the way things are supposed to be." Turns out my "friend" had jailbreaked his prior to our conversation and had already succeeding in breaking the damn thing. What a moron.

The original iPhone served me well for many months, but when the 3G was announced, I knew it was time to say good bye to an old friend. Since I needed the money, I decided to sell my old one the day before the 3G came out - for $300 cool ones no less! Of course living a day without instant communication was a huge drag, especially since I had to spend it waiting in line in the cold huddled up with about a hundred other Apple fans. I guess my friends had called a few times about a party they were having, and while I doubt I would have gone (and risk giving up my place in line? hardly), it was annoying that people were trying to reach me and I had no way of knowing. Sure, I had my PSP and my regular iPod with me but without an internet connection I was pretty much cut out entirely from the world. Some of my fellow linegoers were attempting to sell their old iPhones to passersby and a few even succeeded - oh, if only I had considered that as a viable option!!!

Anyway, after eighteen hours of waiting the doors finally opened and after the couple in front of me argued with the clerk about the 1 phone per customer limit, it was my turn to taste sweet 3G AWESOMENESS. I voraciously ripped apart the packaging as soon as it was rung up and forgot that I would have to charge and activate the darn thing before using it. So I got home and after two hours of charging and activation time I was set.

Finally, a return to the world I know and love! I decided to immediately test out the new 3G internet speed and was blown away by the improvement. I remember it being such a hassle to access the internet before, using the slow, almost primitive 2G speeds when important information needed to be acquired as soon as possible. Thankfully, Apple and AT&T have blessed us with some amazing speeds. I was floored. And to think that this model actually costed less than the original iPhone. I can't think of a better situation in which the consumers ended up profiting.

The GPS was a wonderful addition and I just know some day I'll find a great use for it. I loved the new headphone jack and the new finish was simply marvelous. This was a beautiful looking device, with robust functionality to boot!

It didn't take long for me to fall head over heels in love with my new favorite gadget. The iPhone 3G is definitely a deserving successor to the 2G and I can only imagine how amazing Apple is going to make its successor. In case ANYONE is still considering getting one, the verdict is definitely YES. BUY THE IPHONE 3G and say hello to blazing internet speeds, cool GPS functionality, and some killer looks. I can attest to being about ten shades cooler by owning this wonderful little device from Apple.

Of course, the first thing I did when I got the phone was change the wallpaper:

communist wallpaper

Hehe. >:)

No comments: